[TechAssist] Re: Sony KV32FV300

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:23:17 -0500

First, this might be 2 different issues. How does PIP work?

SYMPTOMS

Distorted picture, looks like bad cable on all inputs.

Smeared dark and reduced luminance.

RESOLUTION

Found broken pins on CN 306 off BC board also cold solder on CN3301.

Repaired broken pins on CN 306 due to no support for this BC board.
Also found connections on CN 3301 were cold and needed to resolder those as
well.

SYMPTOMS

Display weak signal on screen.

CAUSE

Replaced micron, EEPROM. Now TV has new problem. When push menu, display
breaks up then shuts down.

RESOLUTION

In Service Mode pressed 8 then enter thereby resetting the CPU and problem
solved.

SYMPTOMS

Remote inoperable, can press power button set comes on, with volume at max.

CAUSE

Checked D606 it was good but took ohm reading from center pin of CN006 to
ground and found low resistance. Once this plug was disconnected he had
remote operation.

RESOLUTION

Power button only turns unit on won't shut it off. Found HU board defective.
Volume + switch was closed all the time. Replaced S2002.

SYMPTOMS

Mis-operation of CPU.
Set comes on to channel up as soon as turned on.

RESOLUTION

The CPU receives a voltage selection input from the Keys. This voltage is
interpreted by the CPU as a command.

Found diode D006 on the A Board was defective.

This prevented the correct voltage from reaching the CPU. This caused the
CPU to  interpret
the selection as channel up command. Replacing D006 on the key line to
IC001/pin 42 corrected the problem.

NOTE: Stuck key button can cause the same symptom.

SYMPTOMS

The set up or customer menu keeps popping up.

RESOLUTION

This can be caused by the following:

1. The menu switches on the HU or HS board could be defective.

2. Diode D006 on the A Board off of IC001/pin 42 (Key Line) can also cause
miss-operation of the Volume, channel, menu, or TV/Video function.

3. If customer cleans the CRT screen the glass cleaner can also drip on to
the HU board causing intermittent or loss of functions. In this case
replacing the HU or HS Board and advice the customer not to allow the
cleaner to drip down the CRT  screen.

4. In some cases the key buttons on the HU or HS Board might not be centered
and causing the buttons to touch the Bezel which can cause intermittent
miss-operation. Remove and switch and remount slightly tilted away from the
Bezel so the  button no longer touches the Bezel.

HU board A-1400-451-A used in models:
KV-27FV300, KV-32FV300, and KV-36FV300.

HU Board P/N A-1404-856-A used in models:
KV-27FS210, KV-32FS310, KV-36FS210, and KV-36FV310.

HU Board P/N A1404-855-A used in models:
KV-27FV310, and  KV-32FV310.

HS Board A-1401-099-A used in models:
KV-27FS100, KV-27FS200, KV-32FS100, KV-32FS200, KV-36FS100, and KV-36FS200.

It is believed one of the reasons for this symptom is due to:

1. Glass cleaner might be dripping on to the HS or HU  Board mounted
underneath the CRT.
2. One of the menu buttons is not centered causing it to be hitting the
Bezel.
3. One of the menu buttons is defective.

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager / Parts Manager
Gemini Computer, TV, & Security Alarms