[TechAssist] Re: Sony KV27FV17, no power

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:20:28 -0500

Panday,

The LED flashes four times after power is pushed.  More specifically,
push power button, click (power relay), it flashes three times, then
second power click, then one more flash.

Bob Waterman sent this interesting hint.

---pasted text---
SYMPTOMS

When unit is turned on, you get relay click but no power. There is
nothing
coming out of the main switch mode power supply.

RESOLUTION

Examine the top side of the A board (A1299243A). The heat sink that IC601
switch mode convertor IC is mounted to on a lot of these boards is a
U-shaped aluminum one piece heat sink with an extra piece that bends over
the top. It has 3 mounting legs that  solder through the board. Recently
have seen more of these boards with a U-shaped aluminum heat sink that
has a
second finned aluminum heak sink that is black in color mounted to the
top
of the U-shaped heat sink. This version only has 2 mounting legs
soldered
to the board. If the unit you are working on has this heat sink in it,
try
moving the heat sink. If it moves, the two mounting tabs have broken off
at
the base of the heat sink and most likely, IC601/pins 2 and 4 are broken
at
the first 90  degree bend in them coming from the IC.

You will have to remove the black finned heat sink from the top and
remove
the primary input filter capacitor that sits directly under this and in
front of the U-shaped heat sink. The 2 leads can then be soldered which
will
give more stability to the  whole unit (or IC601 can be replaced) and the
heat sinc will have to be secured to the board. I have used hot glue
and/or
RTV. I have not been able to find a part number for the heat sink.
Re-assemble and your unit will power up again. I have seen 6  cases
identical to this to date.

---end of pasted text---

I was hoping I had found number seven, but no joy.  I have a new
regulator on order.

I got your file attachment, unzipped to about 11 Meg, but when I tried to
open, it was in wordpad--blank.  How can I open it.

Thanks,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway