[TechAssist] Sharp portable stereo CD-JX20C(GY) CD spindle motor won't spin

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:10:16 -0500

I have this Sharp portable stereo, model CD-JX20C(GY) in the shop.
Complaint was it wouldn't play CDs. When CD disc first inserted, the
lense bopped up and down and there was a red light emitted. The spindle
looked like it was having problems spinning up to speed so I installed a
new spindle motor to see what happened. Well, the new motor wouldn't
spin at all and I had tested it before I installed it. Checked all my
cables and everything looked like it was plugged in ok. I used a marker
to mark cable connectors before I dismantled.

I put original motor back in (still doesn't spin)and checked the voltage
on the motor- both sides to ground are at 2.4 Vdc, hence 0 V across it
(while the laser beam lights up red to focus on the CD). Unfortunately I
didn't check the voltage before I changed the motor.

Is there an easy way for me to tell if it's the controller board or the
laser/motor assy causing the problem? I have 8.4V B+ on the motor output
IC but I don't have a service manual.

Thanks for any help.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics