[TechAssist] Re: Sharp VCR VCH857, need cassette carriage parts [FIXED]

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:39:39 -0400

John and all, thanks for the help with this VCR.

I ordered this little circuit board from Suburban Electronics. I am very
disappointed with this my first order from them. Finally I get the part
yesterday (over a month from order date) and they charged me $20.00 US
for shipping! (details left out)

The part did repair the VCR though. Besides the problem of not accepting
a tape, there was another problem which I didn't know about until now.
When in play, the speed was about 4 times the normal for either EP or
SP. Forward and reverse cue looked normal, and all other functions
worked fine. Turned out to be a bad connection of the 1 1/2 inch wide
white ribbon cable fitting into socket AA on the main board. Cleaned
end of cable with pencil eraser and sprayed contact cleaner into the
socket AA. Problem solved. Will post separate repair tip to the list.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984