[TechAssist] Sharp VCR VCH857, need cassette carriage parts

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:28:23 -0500

I have this Sharp VCR model VCH857 which wouldn't accept or eject a
tape. There is a leaf switch on a little circuit board, mounted to the
right side of the cassette carriage. This switch senses when the tape is
completely ejected. The tabs holding the switch onto the board were
broken off, so I epoxied the switch in place. Then a customer came into
the shop while the epoxy was still wet and it seeped into the hinge of
the switch, stiffening up the switch a bit. Also without getting into
details, during the repair attempt I had ground off a bit of the nylon
gear lever on the side of the cassette carriage which engages the switch
because I didn't get the switch positioned perfectly and thought that
would compensate (but it didn't work as planned).

I have posted pictures of the parts I need:

board (showing the switch outlined in green)

http://www.number63.ca/board.jpg

side of carriage (showing the gear lever outlined in red)

http://www.number63.ca/gears.jpg

Now without wanting to spend any more time fussing with this thing, I'd
like to buy a complete circuit board (or at least the leaf switch) and
gear lever. Does anyone have good used parts on a scapper? If not, does
anyone have the Sharp part numbers so I can find out if they are available?

On Tritronics web site, I found something called a "cassette mode
switch" DUNTK3194HE00 however I don't know for sure that is the switch I
require. They also list a few gear type of items but again, I don't know
which one is the correct part. One such item they list is called a "
half load reciprocating lever" # MLEVF0283GEZZ.

This customer is willing to pay a fair amount to have the VCR repaired
and I have tested it for playing, FF, etc. and it is ok.

Thanks for any help.
--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics