[TechAssist] Re: Second Postin: Pioneer VSX 425 Dolby surround w/video.

  • From: "Rob Svilpa" <robesv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:03:17 -0700

I had a problem with a cracked circuit board at the power amp output
circuitry after shipping my Yamaha A/V surround unit from back east.
Checked all the components but didn't find anything blown. The internal
circuit breaker would trip though as soon as I kicked on the surround
feature which powered up the center channel amp. Turned out that a
cracked board on the center channel output was causing overload on the
power amp - causing extreme distortion and massive phase cancellation on
the output for the 5-10 seconds it took for the breaker to trip.

I had to epoxy that section of the board and jumper the tracings by hand
to get the thing working again. It was dropped in its shipping box and
the output posts had been pushed in slightly causing the board to crack
inside the case. I was relieved that it was a simple circuit to fix
since if it was more than 1 layer of tracings I would have been S.O.L.

I don't know if that helps, but if there is some phase cancellation
between the rear or center channel and the mains that would cause the
distortion to appear only when the surround circuitry is enabled...

Rob Svilpa
SDET
Microsoft Corporation
Redmond, WA