[TechAssist] Re: Re Mr Ohms turning in his grave 220Volts?????? SHOCKED!!!!!

  • From: Leon Abbey <lja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:47:54 -0800

Say, Jorge?

Following the thread, would you have any suggestions on how Brian
in the West Indies can get rid of the squeal in his real multi-system
RCA CTC187AD / C27521 which only appears when the set is turned off
while plugged into a 220v outlet?

Of course, this conversation would have been easier to follow, had not
Perry changed the subject line.

Hope this clears up the seemingly confused discussion!)

By the by, if I had immediate access to some of my older A/V equipment
(gray market Kenwood, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Sony operates on
120/60hz or 220/50hz I could probably add something useful to the
discussion - Ah, Well. Such is life...)

Oh, and Perry? If it's set up like my Kenwood KX-1006 (anybody remember that
one?)
then yes, you can get a replacement cord with a quote standard plug unquote,
or you could just go to your local Radio Shack and buy a replacement adaptor
for their International Power Transformer Set (or whatever they are calling it
these days). Cord would probably run 8-12 dollars, plug about 1.50 (or get in
with someone stationed overseas and ask them to pick up an adaptor for you
for around 29 cents).

Okay, I'm done pontificating. If you wish to flame me, my e-mail address is
above.

Thankyou all for your indulgence.

Leon
Deluxe Business Machines, Co.
Pine City, NY 14871-9626

12/19/02 1:52:09 PM, Jorge Camboni <geo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi techs.
>We are supposed to be talking about real sets, not about
>a fixed impedance. If a set requires 4 amps at 120 volts,
>it will require 2 amps at 240 for a determined 480 W power
>drain. IT IS PAINFULLY OBVIOUS THAT THE POWER
>SUPPLY DESIGN IS DIFFERENT FROM 120 TO 220/240
>unless it is a universal switching power supply which
>stands a wide range of voltages on the chopper transistor
>collector. Other designs, I recall some vcrs use a doubler
>for 120 and a straight full or half wave for 220.
>If  you double the voltage on a fixed load, you' ll end up
>with 4 times the power drain (w=e2/r) but that makes no sense
>By the way a chopper's transistor collector IS NOT a fixed load,
>I mean a switching power supply's behavoir depends on the
>load and the input voltage...
>240V requires much lighter wiring, on the other hand,
>it is much more dangerous.
>
>you all have a pleasant day
>

>Jorge Camboni, GY Electronics, Dallas/Richardson
>
>At 09:48 a.m. 19/12/02 -0800, gulftech@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>Dear Villy,
>>
>>Most of us know that formula as P = IE.  Since current is directly
>>proportional to voltage ( I = E/R), an increase in voltage yields a
>>corresponding increase in current with R held constant.  If current and
>>voltage are both doubled, power is increased by a factor of 4.
>>
>>If I'm wrong, please set me straight.
>>
>>Regards,
>>

>>Ken Smith
>>Gulf Technical Services
>>3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
>>Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
>>850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)
>>

>>On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:03:37  0000 "Vilhelm Boor" <villyboor@xxxxxxxxx>
>>writes:
>>>
>>> Villy boor
>>>  Boorelec Durban
>>>  When I read some of this I am rather surprised, where were some of
>>> you trained, what happened to Ohms law? Why 2 round prongs. Most
>>> countries use various combinations of flat pin at various angles,
>>> Round pins tended to have a bakelite body.
>>>   But please remember W=IV so the greater V is the less I will be so
>>> cables are lighter, plugs can be smaller and fuses lower I. Philips
>>> for example make a wide range of TV with an input requirement of
>>> from 90V to 270V, just plug it in and its working. I am sometimes
>>> left speechless, this is your subject and livlihood, you must know
>>> basics.

Submit A Repair Tip For Everyone Here: