[TechAssist] Re: Radio designed for B and A batteries: want to convert to ac

  • From: "Peter oliver" <oliver_peter1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:41:55 +0000

The supply would have a fair amount of amperage since the tubes are
probbably in parell filiment config could always try an amp cap on the
powersupply ie 10000 uf or more. The tubes are probbably using the filiment
as the cathode if you still get ac hum on a filtered supply. I think that
when the country electrified some of these radios were retubed for indirect
cathode but that's  80 year old technology....

Peter Oliver
Tucson Radio TV

From: walter wood <wwood_38478@xxxxxxxxx>
To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TechAssist] Re: Radio designed for B and A batteries: want to
convert to ac
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:07:20 -0800 (PST)

What about a "wall wart" type power supply??
I've seen some of them that  had selectable
voltages.
Seems like I've even seen one that was rated at
1.5vdc.
Went to a radio shack alarm clock/calculator.
HTH
Walter
--- Wayne Vanaman <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 > Make a ladder resistor voltage divider off of one
 > of your other supplies,
 > you could run it through a coil stolen off of a
 > kine board somewhere for a
 > little extra filtration.
 >
 > Several years ago I played with a Zenith TV that
 > had a bad input choke.
 > 20,000uF of electrolytics was required on the
 > main power input line to drop
 > the noise down to what that input choke did.
 >
 > Wayne Vanaman
 > Omega Electronics
 > 6904 W Fairfield Dr
 > Pensacola, FL  32506-3310