[TechAssist] Re: RCA part needed for MMC102 chassis

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:01:06 -0400

This set was a nightmare, probably amongst the most difficult repairs I have
ever encountered. I was just told via my Thomson Field Rep and parts that
this board is now listed as NLA. I had finally figured out that the these
clock and data lines were being loaded down when Q18102 is in circuit (yes,
I had replacements on hand but it was not that easy!). Whenever the base and
collector are connected to the circuit it pulls it right down. There are no
shorts anywhere that I can find and I even cleaned the flux residue from the
entire board. I had traced the folis traces with the tiny, tiny rivets
through this double sided and solderded board all over the place and have a
multitude of surface mount components removed trying to isolate the source
of the load. Well for the first time in almost 28 years of doing this, I
must now concede defeat! I hope that if anyone ever runs across this in the
future, you remember to search the archives to check for the same symptoms
on these clock and data lines and call it quits because this was one dark
and dreary journey.

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager / Parts Manager