[TechAssist] RCA F26051, CTC 167, low B+, FINAL FIX

  • From: Kevin <kevintv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TECH-ASSIST <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:55:58 -0700

This set has been the dog of dogs.  When the set would first come on the
B+ would be the proper 129 volts.  After a few minutes or hours the B+
would slowly drop to about 115 volts--giving a narrow, dark, blurry
picture.  Changing the SCR and 4 P/S transistors and checking every cap
did nothing.  The B+ pot was bad--replacing the 20k pot with a 30k pot
gave me a rock steady 129 volts.

Assuming there were no more problems, I took the set back to the
customer, only to find out to my embarrassment that there was a vertical
wiggle up and down the picture that would come and go (of course), that
would start at the left side of the picture and as it got worse go
further across the screen horizontally.  Using cold spray I found a 332
disc cap right beside the B+ pot that was causing the vertical wiggle.
When the wiggle was really bad, using cold spray would stop it.  But
when the wiggle was not as bad, the cold spray would not affect it the
same.  Replacing the 332 disc cap restored the picture to normal.
Hopefully my experience can help someone else.

Kevin Wilks
Kevin's TV & Video Repair
Penticton BC Canada
kevintv@xxxxxxx