[TechAssist] RCA CTC169CF CR4122 in chopper circuit [UPDATE]

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:07:21 -0500

I have received replies from several techs, some say to stick with the
OEM part only, others say the original zener is 3.3V and only marked on
the diagram as 3.0V. Regardless, one person said they have used 3.3V
zeners many times and always was ok.

I ended up installing a 3.3V zener for CR4122. Also replaced all the
other caps, regulator IC, reg. transistor, etc. 143V B+ measured right
on before set was turned on. Fired set up and it works fine. I measured
waveforms on the regulator IC and transistor and they are accurate
according to service manual. Also the B+ stays at 141V during operation.
Regulator transistor heatsink stays luke warm after 4 hours of set
running. I am shipping this set out. If it ever comes back to the shop
with blown regulator, I'll then use the RCA part for the zener and I'll
alert the list that my 3.3V experiment was a failure.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4