[TechAssist] Re: Questions about the ChipChecker?

  • From: "Wayne Vanaman" <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 06:56:26 -0600

Dan:

I like Chipper Check.  I can not tell you how much time it has saved.  After
lightning storms I have actually gone through 10-15 sets initializing
eeproms in just a couple of hours.  Done this several times.  Now granted
this is not the norm.  But assuming you had all the eeproms in stock, just
had to change them and align the set, how long does that take?

My "service center" is a one tech mom & son place, and I have Two Chipper
Check boxes, one for the shop, one for house calls.  No way I would try to
get by without one.

I have not tried to count the times that CC would Not fix the set when it
was the eeprom, but guessing I would say less than 1%.

No, it is not a fix all miracle.  No it will not take care of everything.
The most frequent complain I hear is how long it takes to set up.  Leave a
parallel cable attached to the shop computer.  It is simple.  Plug the
parallel cable, plug the ac, plug the tv.  It does not take long.

A dedicated computer for CC?  No way!

Chipper Check does have some quirks, but overall it saves a LOT more time
than it wastes.

Anything new will take a little while to get used to.  Use it.  If you do
very much RCA/GE/ProScan you will wonder how you ever got by without it.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield DR.
Pensacola, FL.  32506-3310