[TechAssist] Re: Quasar VM-D100 Camcorder Further on DEW

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:35:29 -0500

He did not exactly short the sensor since his ink measured about 10 Kohm.
But he may have bridged the point between the resistor ink and the
termination ink (both are printed) or the resistor ink may have been open
near the termination. The open circuit may not be in the same place all the
time. But open circuits and intermittant connections have always been a big
problem in hybrid circuits, and the flexible substrate just adds more
trouble. Just look at all the problems with printed ribbon cables in things
like CD players. I have a big box full of those things I have removed from
the various Panasonics. All the ones I have, have the termination concealed
under a layer of plastic. One I just measured was about 3 Kohm. The
resistance goes up as the humidity increases. Some I measured on Sony
camcorders were about 400 ohms. Those were mounted on the capstan motor.
If one is going to tack a resistor to the main board, the problem is one of
finding the place to tack it. As I mentioned, it is almost impossible to
find a good place from the drawings and each model is quite different. You
can locate the pin on the micro easily, but they are usually under soldered
shields. I find it easier to just buy the assembly and install it. And the
camcorders really need the dew protection. Without the protection the heads
get clogged really bad. Sometimes the tape sticks to the drum and wraps
around the pinch roller and you have to take the whole thing apart just to
get the tape out.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave