[TechAssist] Re: Q601, 602 voltages too high--measuring AC/DC voltages

  • From: Wayne Vanaman <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:55:49 -0600

When you are measuring switch-mode supplies with a DMM there are several
variables.  What is the frequency response of the meter?  What is the
shape of the waveform?  How is the meter sampling?

I dropped in to visit another shop once.  He was working on a CTC169
with a vertical problem, using a Fluke 87 DMM.  The SCR measured about
3V instead of the expected 12 (or so), but the picture was fine.  I
pulled out a Fluke 77 and the voltage measured "correctly".  We found
that the Fluke 87 could be manually ranged and the voltage would be
different on different ranges.

I have since tried many different meters measuring AC waveforms on a DC
scale and found that "your mileage may vary".

The best measurement of an AC waveform is done with a 'scope.  In the
case of these Sonys, the duty cycle should be 50%, and that is the most
important thing with these supplies.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield Dr