[TechAssist] Re: Pioneer CD,M#PD-M550, won't read disks

  • From: Tom Sherman <bayside.electronics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:04:02 -0400

Daryl, have you done the grating adjustment on the new pickup? This is a
very critical adjustment that has to be performed on these Pioneer
units. If the grating is off even a little, they simply will not read
the disc. It is a fairly tricky procedure that requires a steady hand
and lots of patience. You will also need a good scope and test disc,
such as the Sony  YEDS-7. The service manual explains the procedure.
Also, check the spindle motors on both units. These motors have a high
failure rate.  Over the years I have replaced spindle motors more often
than pickups.
The first thing I check when servicing a CD player is the eye pattern.
It should be in focus, not fuzzy, and on a Pioneer the amplitude should
be approx. 1.2-1.7 VPP.  There should also be minimal jitter present.

Tom @ Bayside Electronics

Tom Sherman
Bayside Electronics
Digby, NS