[TechAssist] Panasonic VCR Heads - SUCCESS

  • From: Wally Heise <sifcamp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 22:32:37 -0600

Thank you to all for the good responses to my question about the video
heads on Panasonic VCRs.  I am happy to report that the rubber eraser,
Windex, and then my head cleaner appears to have fixed this stubborn
dirty head, (normally head cleaner and chamois fixes all). I didn't have
any 409 readily available but windex was sitting under the bench.
Caution - make sure the windex dries thoroughly or else you have many
feet of tape wrapped around the head !!!!  Upon success, I went to the
scrap pile and tried another one with no luck, so maybe that one is
really bad.

I understand worn video heads and the symptoms, but if a video head
doesn't work at all, then all you get is sound and garbage (or blue) on
the screen, right?  And if the sound is normal, then tape speed, etc.,
should be all OK?  I may be asking dumb questions, but I haven't had
alot of problems with video heads and need some reassurance.

Again, thanks to all for their responses.

Wally Heise
South Isle Repair