[TechAssist] Re: Panasonic CT32G5B Squealing power supply

  • From: John at Main TV <maintv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 10:02:13 -0600

You MUST us the "A" version if that is what it calls for, there is a
difference, the plain version will not work for an "A" version, I don't
know about the other way around.  The "A" is not at the end of the
number as you would suspect (that would be too easy).  It is at the end
of the next line of numbers under the part number and may be smaller
print than the part number but it is important.         John.

John Mielke
Main TV
Longmont, Co
maintv@xxxxxxxxxxx

MDileo0000@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Panasonic CT32G5B, ABP331 chassis.
>  This set came in with a shorted avalanche diode D525, damaged power
> regulator IC803 (STR58041) and open resister R828 (47@3wt). It squeals as if
> there is a secondary short. Scoping the regulator circuit shows good initial
> peak-to-peak ringing that dies off as if the circuit is starving from
> insufficient current. I would like to know if anyone has a method to run this
> circuit fully decoupled from the chassis? I already tried disconnecting all
> of the secondary loads and using a 50 watt lightbulb as a dummy load for the
> 130 volt supply. I have a factory manual and it lists the regulator as being
> a STR58041A but there was a STR58041 installed as original factory and it has
> better operating specs than does the "A" version. Any ideas or past
> experiences appreciated.
>
> Dominic DiLeo
> Atlantic TV
> Freeport, Maine