[TechAssist] Re: PC speaker system: Boston BA635 scratchy at low volume]

  • From: Scott Beebe <Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Phil Bader <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:08:24 -0400

Hello Phil,
I would suspect the IC.

 Thanx,

Scott Beebe
Ohm Electronics Inc.
609 W. Clinton St.
Ithaca NY 14850
Voice: (607) 273-8406
Fax: (607) 273-8743
WWW.OhmElectronicsInc.com
mailto:Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Saturday, July 17, 2004, 9:49:35 AM, you wrote:

Phil> I realise these are not high dollar items, but I like this sound system
Phil> on my PC.
Phil> It has two small stout speakers and a sub woofer.
Phil> Boston Acoustics model BA635.
Phil> I notice on low volume settings there is distortion in the audio. Almost
Phil> like a low feedback squeel.
Phil> Only noticible if the sound is low and you are listening for it, but
Phil> annoying. If I turn up the volume to a full sound, no distortion at all,
Phil> and good range. I've ruled out the speakers.
Phil> This had been noted on two PCs and a laptop. Not the volume pot. I can
Phil> jocky the volume with the  PC volume control settings, as well as the
Phil> front speaker mounted pot. Same.
Phil> I opened it and it has a beefy little amp with a "TDAxx"
Phil> I esr'd all caps and measured them.OK.
Phil> Any experience on these?
Phil> Hey, I like it! ;-)
Phil> Phil Bader