[TechAssist] New plasma TV /cable set upin- home: your rates?

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:31:03 -0500

Due to my arthritis,back,etc the last few years i simply work on what my
customers carry in to the shop. I offer very flexable after hours
appointments for them to drop off or pick up since they may need a
friends and truck after hours. I use hydralic lifts here, carts,etc for
the big screens.
OK.
Our area has a large number of retired customers. I get about one call a
week  that they bought a new HDTV, say, a plasma, big screen,etc and
need instruction, hook up all the wires to it,etc. Mostly the sets are
sitting there ready, uncrated and put in place.
I'm in central Florida. What would be the groups shop charges for ,say,
a local call to go out to a home where the plasma TV is installed but
not hooked up. Needs the HD cable box connected, maybe a DVD./ No/
surround sound installation needed.
Just the customer education time alone could be an hour to bring them up
to speed. What seems to be the break down. Basic call to home@ X$$$ plus
$XXper hour? or a flat rate?
How do you do it? Whats the formula. I can't go into a lengthy "cost of
doing business" deal here.
I never got into the home service thing. Hated it.
But, I'm thinking of "cherry picking" the physically easy jobs. (no
uncrating heavy TVs, wire runs,etc)
I need to be fair to the customer, but not underpriced.It would probably
be evenings or Saturdays, since I can't justify locking my door during
the day and losing walk ins. I'm alone.
Phil Bader

--

Philip Bader