[TechAssist] Re: Magnavox GS 9P6040-C102 PTV-843

  • From: "G.Larkman" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:11:12 -0700

Dave,

Chassis - PTV-843
Model     - 9P5540 C102
Brand - Magnavox Projection TV

Symptom....- turns on with green light then shutsdown. Breif build up of HV.

Clue  - unplugging the convergence module power supply harness allows set to
fire up with no convergence correction and postage stamp picture on all 4
sides.. Note. not bad C/G IC's. the board is
simply loading down the main power supply. Further checks reveal 130V rail
is dropping down to 94 V and then shutdown with additional load of CG panel.

Fix   -   This is an unusual SMPS in as much as it has two controllers, one
on the hot side and the other on the cold side of the supply.
There are 4 opto couplers and opto IC loc # 7412, part #483520988561 had
become thermally sensitive and caused a lack of regulation..
Freezing it with a frozen Q-tip (another Nesda learned trick!) would cause
the 130V rail to plummet.
Replacing IC led to rock solid 130V rail.
NOTE. also check resistor R3456 / 510Kohm for drifting.

Thanks to Jeff at Intrepid for his assistance with a schematic. (was on B/o
forever)

Glenn Larkman
Audiotech
256 Nth Hwy 101