[TechAssist] Re: Lenk Butane soldering iron?

  • From: "Hoyt's TV" <hoytstv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:50:09 -0500

What does it look like?

I've had several of the round style ones from Radio Shack, one says Portasol
(grey) on it and the other says Techline (red), they are pretty reliable.
Got a few square shaped ones from my parts supplier. The square ones which I
think were  from ECG were terrible. The first two I sent back because they
wouldn't hold fuel. The third replacement looked like the heating element
was only half aglow after a short time and took forever to heat up. I
finally quit carrying it and bought another one from RS to take it's place.
The new one from RS is different still. It's round but bullet shaped where
the others had a constant diameter with flat ends. It was great but you had
to watch the heat from the burner vents so it didn't burn something near
where you were soldering. It had four vents at 3:00, 6:00, 9:00 and 12:00
o'clock. I finally took it out of service because it developed a nasty habit
of losing it's fuel in about a day. I still miss it because it was really
great to solder with.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH