[TechAssist] JVC mini Stereo model MX-J70, thumping sound while cd plays

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:01:21 -0500

This is a mini stereo unit with 3 disc (3 trays) and dual cassette. This
model also has rolling control panel on front which rolls to hide the
control buttons when the unit is off.

The original complaint was that the rolling panel wasn't opening and
closing properly. I took the unit apart and determined that likely
problem was microprocessor. Gave them a big price to fix so they decided
that I should just unplug rolling panel motor and leave controls open
all the time. This worked out fine.

Customer brought unit back a few days later, saying that there was a
strange noise while CD's play. This noise is like a mild thumping sound,
about once every 2 seconds. The thump coincides with the flashing cd
disc indicator light for either cd 1, 2, or 3. When the light flashes
(all the while a CD plays), I hear the thump. Between songs, the thump
can be heard clearly.

I have taken it apart again to look for loose grounds, poor solder, etc.
Don't notice anything. Also reconnected panel motor to see if that was
the cause, no help) Pretty hard to follow the circuit without a print,
but was thinking of adding a cap across the B+ to the indicator lights.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics