[TechAssist] JVC AV36050 TV dead lightning STRF6626 and more

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:48:30 -0400

This set was involved in a lighning strike that took out several other
pieces as well.  Found the obvious stuff quickly:
IC901 STRF6626 shorted
D911 1SS133-T2 shorted
Q943 2SC2240 shorted

not so obvious but a must check on these:
C926, C927 both had DA of 12%  and 14%, not "bad" but not worth risking a
recall.

I replaced these parts using a generic STRF6626 and could get the set to run
but reg B+ was 76VDC and raster was diminished, no functions worked.  Having
heard that you must use the JVC original regulator I ordered it (cost $26.86
compared to $4.89).  There was no change.  The regulators behaved exactly
the same.  Looking further I found that the 13v standby line was low and
eventually found a leaky Q942 a surface mount 2SC2412 switch.  That solved
the problem.  All else OK, now.

I took the opportunity to compare the JVC part and the generic, both
supplied by Tritronics.  They appear to be identical and perform identically
in circuit.  They both have identical SanKen markings on them and identical
dimensions.

Hope this one helps someone else,  these JVCs make me crazy.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World
Gainesville, FL