[TechAssist] Re: Hypothetical: When NTSC goes,will we haveonestandard ?

  • From: "Hoyt's TV" <hoytstv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:31:49 -0400

The 78s had a long run. I don't know exactly when they came on the market
but I believe it was very early 1900s.
You don't find many cylinder records that were made after the turn of the
century. The 33 came out in 1947 or 48 and the 45 within a year after the
arrival of the 33. In 1955 when we had to pull Chuck Berry's Maybelline from
the shelves, we had it in both 78 and 45. When the lawsuit was settled and
we were allowed to sell it again, we could no longer get it in 78. So that
was just about the end of the 78. I would say it had a good 50 year life
span.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH