[TechAssist] Hitachi, 43UWX10B, Convergence

  • From: "William Rayburn" <premtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:34:50 -0800

This is a unit equipped with "magic focus", magic my aXX...
Initial problem was a bow of yellow color extending down from the top of the
screen just right of center and extending over to the right side of the screen,
drooping down about three inches at the lowest point.  Found that the first
horizontal line in the grid was not straight, bowed between vertical lines in
the grid.  Tried adjusting and couldn't get the line straight so I tested and
found that the convergence IC's were faulty.  Instead of just replacing those I
wanted the DCU tested also so I sent the board to PTS and fully expected I
would have to do a full convergence on its return.  Got it back yesterday, got
out the overlay and began working.  3.5 hours later everything but the last
three vertical strings in the grid won't line-up.  Still bowing present between
the vert lines in the first horizontal line and to straighten out one throws
the others way out of geometry.
I've read just about everything I can off the Hitachi site regarding
convergence on this model and some postings that indicate these are real
headaches to converge from scratch.  But my questions is could anything other
than the DCU or convergence board be at fault here?  I've checked supply
voltages, ESR'd caps in the supply line and thoroughly checked all my jumper
connections.  If it were any of these things I would think it would affect more
than just the first horizontal line in the grid, right?
Bill

William H. Rayburn, CET
NESDA Member
Premium Technologies