[TechAssist] Re: Go video DDV9556 Copy code defeat possible?

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:53:20 -0500

A Federal law in effect for the last few years makes it illegal to sell
equipment that will copy protected media, even if it would copy the
protection. So the GoVideos and other copying equipment had to be redesigned
to conform. For this reason, people that would ordinarily just go buy new
are getting their old stuff repaired and reconditioned.
I dont know where this feature is controlled, but I would assume it is built
into a micro. Since this law is only in effect in the US, units made for
sale in other countries may not have this feature.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609