[TechAssist] Re: Fw: Re: Dick Smith ESR

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:51:50 -0600

Ed,

I disagree on buying a kit.  My fixed expenses (rent, utilities,
insurance, etc., etc.) far exceed the difference between kit and
wired/tested.  That time would be better spent USING the Dick Smith to
fix things and generate income.

Each shop is different.  Some may have loads of free time where it could
be used for such a purpose.  Some may have low-paid techs that could be
assigned to built the kit.  Not so with me.

The Dick Smith ESR meter has been discussed many times on this forum.  I
bought three of them three years ago and believe them to be the best
value test equipment in the shop.  Whatever form you buy it in, kit or
wired, I strongly suggest you get it with the protection circuit.  They
call it the DSESRSaver.  Costs an extra $20 or so.  Even with some
bone-head techs I have had, never damaged the meter.

Now, if they would improve the chart on it so it wouldn't wear away--that
would be an improvement.

Regards,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice), 850-932-0819 (fax)

----