[TechAssist] Re: Fw: Emerson Microwave MW8985W Need info

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:38:37 -0500

Al,

First, examine the fuse.  See if one end is dull where it goes in the
fuse holder.  Also, look for signs of solder seepage from one end.  If
either, replace the fuse holder.

Microwaves are not like TV's.  Many times a uwave fuse will blow for no
apparent reason.  Maybe a power surge...  I used to work for a large
retail store in their service department.  The TV shop also serviced
microwaves.  We were told to replace the 15A fuses with 20A.  After all,
a customer would get quite upset when they paid almost $100 for a service
call and a fuse, only to find it go out a couple months later.

Also, check the door switches for signs of overheating.  Usually will
nearly melt at the spade lugs.  Could cause a sticky switch that will
take out the fuse.

HTH,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services