[TechAssist] Re: Fuse type needed final answer

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:56:26 -0600

Actually, Gary, I'm cheaper than you are.  I save the leads from caps and
resistors and use then for jumpers or fuses.  I use a dremel tool to make
the solder take to the end and hold the leads with hemostats.

You make a good point to mention the time involved in putting the set
together and moving it off the bench.  It takes a heck of a lot of
inventory to cut down on doing that.  I'm not just talking about fuses.
I have 95% of the parts I need for repair, but it has taken a lot of time
and money to build it up.  Still, when I find a new part, I order for
stock as well.

I've mentioned this before, but for the new guys, I say it again.  I have
kept a parts log of everything I have ordered for at least the past five
years.  I also write down parts I am low on and need to reorder, so when
I place an order I don't forget the restock items.  Of course, I still
find things later the same day that I need to order.  The two biggest
advantages of the data base is a quick check to see if it is in stock
(for parts I don't instantly recognize) and for pricing out of invoices.

Regards,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice), 850-932-0819 (fax)

----