[TechAssist] Re: Fuse type beeded final answer

  • From: mebonnell@xxxxxxxxx (Old TV Man)
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:38:10 -0600

All this talk about a fuse. I have been soldering wires to fuses for
years.
I even found some S clips in my drawer after someone mentioned them.

I sorta do the same with parts as Ken does but not as many anymore with
age creeping up.

Max Bonnell
Bonnell TV
Robinson, IL

Sender: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx Date:
Sat, Jan 29, 2005, 6:56pm To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:
[TechAssist] Re: Fuse type needed final answer Reply=A0to:
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Actually, Gary, I'm cheaper than you are. I save the leads from caps and
resistors and use then for jumpers or fuses. I use a dremel tool to make
the solder take to the end and hold the leads with hemostats.

You make a good point to mention the time involved in putting the set
together and moving it off the bench. It takes a heck of a lot of
inventory to cut down on doing that. I'm not just talking about fuses. I
have 95% of the parts I need for repair, but it has taken a lot of time
and money to build it up. Still, when I find a new part, I order for
stock as well.

I've mentioned this before, but for the new guys, I say it again. I have
kept a parts log of everything I have ordered for at least the past five
years. I also write down parts I am low on and need to reorder, so when
I place an order I don't forget the restock items. Of course, I still
find things later the same day that I need to order. The two biggest
advantages of the data base is a quick check to see if it is in stock
(for parts I don't instantly recognize) and for pricing out of invoices.

Regards,
Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL 32563
850-934-8324 (Voice), 850-932-0819 (fax)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:53:25 -0500 Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

Ed, it would take longer to lift the TV off the bench to store it until
the part comes in and have the customer held up for a few days, then it
would to solder a couple of wires on a fuse. I forgot to mention that I
usually take a resistor with full length leads and bend the leads to
reach both ends of the fuse, then I solder the resistor to the fuse and
then clip out the resistor afterwards. It makes it simpler to hold the
wire to the fuse while soldering.

Gary McCartney
McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

Ed Gaidies wrote:

Gary;
I find it easier to pick up the phone and call Global, and order a
package.;-)
Again...Time is money.

You cheap Canuck...WOW!  Next time I'm shipping something your
way...I'll
throw in a dozen "S" clips. No Charge.

-Ed-
Ed Gaidies
Tel-Tek Electronics
Ontario-Canada
teltek3@xxxxxxxxxxxx
teltek@xxxxxxxxx

On 29-Jan-05, at 4:10 PM, Gary McCartney wrote:

I find that it is easier to solder a wire to a fuse if you take a
jeweler's file and file the end of the fuse down until it is brass
color.
Then quickly tin the brass end and tin the end of the wire, then solder
together. If you are afraid of too much heat, have your can of freeze
spray handy to spray on after the soldering is done.

Gary McCartney
McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

gulftech@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I agree. I remember GC (General Cement) used to carry packages of "S"
clips for that sort of thing to piggyback a good fuse to a bad one with
minimal effort. Anyone know if they are still available?

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL 32563
850-934-8324 (Voice), 850-932-0819 (fax)
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:27:31 -0500 "Jerome Silverman"
<greentron@xxxxxxx>
writes:

For those who dont want to solder wires to fuses, there are things that
look
like a coil spring with a long straight end wire that slips over the end
of
a standard fuse end cap.

Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc