[TechAssist] Fixed: RCA CTC187CL horz freq shift causing shutdown

  • From: "Peter oliver" <oliver_peter1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 04:22:37 +0000

Replaced the EEprom, it was only $2.50 since I was ordering other parts.
That fixed it...deciced it was easier than fighing with the caps and worring
about latent damage to the old eeprom.

Peter Oliver
Tucson Radio TV

From: Jorge Camboni <geo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TechAssist] Re: RCA CTC187CL horz freq shift causing shutdown
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:46:09 -0500

1) the horizontal shift is probably caused by a corrupted eeprom
2) if you want it to stay on so as you can correct the hor freq
from the service menu, solder another 1,6kv capacitor
(don't rememember value - from .0135 to .0168 mf -depends
on the  model) in paralell. That  should give you a narrower
but stable raster.
3) There is a chance that the original 1,6 kv cap is bad..
in this case paralelling will fix it at once..

HTH
Jorge

At 09:44 p.m. 23/08/03 +0000, you wrote:

 >RCA CTC187CL
 >in 31"
 >
 >                    Sorry for the obscure post, but rembered this one just
 >after I left the shop this afternoon. It appears that the horizontal
 >frequency is shifted causing possibly excessive high voltage and
 >shutdown---- this is a qualitative assesment by ear, also the screen is
 >keeping a pretty good charge that is slow to bleed off. Is there a way to
 >shift the frequency so that the set will turn on without replacing or
 >initializing the eeprom?. Set will stay on with the horizontal yoke plug
 >pulled Tuner has been repaired and horz drive connections reworked too.
 >

 >Peter Oliver
 >Tucson Radio TV

 >Get MSN 8 and help protect your children with advanced parental controls.
 >http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental

 >Classifieds! Buy or Sell!
 >http://sell.tech-assist.org
 >The Tech Address Book:
 >http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/contact.htm
 >Add a Repair Tip Here, or Change/Remove your Email Address:
 >http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/main.htm
 >Lost Password:
 >http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Lost your Login Info?".
 >Email Archives:

Jorge Camboni, GY Electronics, Richardson, TX

Classifieds! Buy or Sell!
http://sell.tech-assist.org

Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com.

Classifieds! Buy or Sell!
http://sell.tech-assist.org