[TechAssist] **FIXED** RCA F25442, Chassis CTC203AD5

  • From: "Premium Technologies" <premtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:12:55 -0800

Had to really chase this one and did a good deal of research so I thought it
worthy of a post.

Problem: Intermittent shutdown/startup, with occasional no video just audio.

This would have been much easier to diagnose had the problem not been
two-fold.  Intermittent shutdown/startup found to be a faulty eeprom.  The
second problem was not the usual L14401, but the main board connection point
of the H-side of the yoke.  The Y-side connections are separated with some
distance along the deflection side of the board and are usually much larger
gauge wire.  The signal side however solder in closely together.  At best no
problem could be physically seen at the connections or the traces.  But
under high enough magnification and moving the wires finally revealed soft
solder on one of the connections, resulting in intermittent loss of video.
When I did any kind of probe test I didn't see a problem.  But it was
because just the slightest pressure was enough to put the connection
together.
WinStips had a tip on a CTC203, in general, that suggested this possibility.
But it took quite some additional poking around to find that that was my
problem.
Hope this helps.
Bill

William Rayburn, CET