[TechAssist] Re: Equipment

  • From: "Wayne Vanaman" <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 06:45:13 -0600

Gordon:

May I make some recommendations on equipment?

Scope:  Tektronix TDS210, 60Mhz digital storage scope.  I have actually
captured 97Mhz waveforms with it.  New list $1200.
signal generator:  for TV a Sencore VG91 or CM2125.  I bought my vg91 new,
but the CM2125 was used from ebay for $500.
LCR:  consider a used HP
SMD kit:  Pace at www.paceusa.com or A.P.E. at www.ape.com
    These two soldering equipment companies are the best.  Many types of
tools.  Many things interchangeable between these brands.  Pace stuff is
common on ebay.  I own a PRC2000 and an MBT250, as well as some older Pace
and A.P.E. equipment

For a DMM try to find a 4, or better, 5 digit.  Although I have a Kiethly
that will interface with the computer I have never taken the time to set it
up.  The 5 digit readout is very nice, and the ohms scale would go down to
.001.  Nice.  I have two 5 digit meters, a Fluke 8840A and a Keithley 197.

computers:  I have been using genuine IBM and never had any trouble.  I am
running two machines, 24 hours a day.  The two I am using now have been
running for about two years.

Dell sells "off lease" refurbs on ebay for an excellent price.  I bought
two, one for my shop, one for a friend.  These are business models so they
are a step above home stuff as far as construction etc.  The prices are
good.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield DR.