[TechAssist] Dick smith ESR Meter Fix

  • From: Quality Video Service <BTSteve@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TechAssist <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:43:06 -0500

Several months ago, I noticed my Dick Smith ESR meter became slightly
unstable when zeroing out for ohms readings. I also had to replace the
battery at more frequent intervals. Finally last week after replacing
the battery again, the low battery indicator would not go out.
Well, I pulled out the assembly instructions, and looked at the
calibration procedure for the low battery indicator. It said to set a
power supply to 7 volts, attach it to the battery terminals, and adjust
VR1 until the indicator comes on.
Looking at the collector of Q1 with 9 volts on the battery terminals, I
had only 7 volts! Hmmmm. Checking Q1, I found that it was leaky. I
replaced Q1, the BC328 with a quality PN2907 and bingo! After
recalibrating the low battery indicator, the unit is stable and works
correctly again. The original transistor must have had more that a .6
volt drop at full turn on.
Hope this helps others in the future. I made a note in my assembly
instructions.
Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend everyone!
--
Steve Rumel
Quality Video Service