[TechAssist] Re: Dell Computer psu

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 08:13:45 -0500

Are you SURE it's the supply?  A bad mobo will also do this
and sometimes a Bios upgrade can fix it if it has a shotty
BIOS.  Power supplies are so cheap that trying to repair a
typical one is not warranted.  "Typical" is the key word
here.  Since Dell's as other name brand PC's are proprietary
and usually have special proprietary power supplies, a new
one could be VERY expensive.

Testing all output voltages to the mobo connector is usually
of no use unless you 'load' it during testing.  First I would
simply swap a good ps in the unit and see what happens.  Then
if it works ok, I'd look into modifying the case as needed to
accommodate a typical (AT or ATX) power supply.  *Usually*
it's just the screw mounts that need to be changed, but not
always.  It's not the specs that are not compatible with name
brands PC's, it's the enclosure and shape of the power
supply's case itself.  I haven't known any typical parts to
go bad in these or seen any specific patterns of failure.  If
you must fix this one (and you're sure it's bad), it can be
the large caps, x-istors or the regulators on the heatsinks,
even other things as well.  Just have to start checking them
component by component.  Sorry can't be more specific.
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com ©
http://Computer-Hardware-Sales-Consumer-Electronics-Sales.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 775-254-3030
4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(PLEASE include ALL previous correspondence
if replying to this email or you will not receive
a reply!!)