[TechAssist] Re: Computet Question

  • From: "Jim Myers" <jr.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:12:13 -0500

I use Laplink to do this, only I don't do the complete hard drive, I only
copy my important program folders and the programs are installed on the
other computer as well so if the server crashes the other can become the
server or the files can be restored from it. How fast depends on the speed
of your computers, hard drives, ram...etc, lots of variables including the
network hardware, is it 10/100 or just 10mb. The advantage to Laplink is the
ability to copy only the changed files so after the initial copy is made the
daily, weekly, hourly or whatever you have in mind will be very fast.
Assuming you want to update your backup on a regular basis a program that
will copy only the changes is important for speed. Laplink is one,
PCAnywhere is another. I don't know if Ghost or Take Two will do this, other
techs may know. Cloning the complete hard drive to another computer sounds
like you are not going to use that computer as a workstation, what a waste
that is, I have seven computers running at three locations and can keep
important backups on a different computer in a different location and all
the computers are used as workstations/servers.
Jim Myers
Telrad Electronic Services Co.
Fort Wayne, IN 46815
jr.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx