[TechAssist] Re: Books and information on the net about flat panel computer monitors.

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 20:21:06 -0400

I assume you are referring to LCD monitors. They work just like any LCD
display. There is a digital driver board and a power supply and a
fluorescent backlight. If the screen is black but you can see a faint image
looking at oblique angles, the backlight or its driver may be defective. LCD
tvs are starting to show up in the stores. They are similar and have a
tuner. Some repair is possible on the power supplies but I doubt that much
can be done with the digital board. Sometimes horizontal or vertical lines
or bands may appear in the display that can be altered by applying pressure
to the edges of the display. This means some connections have come loose.
Whether you can repair it or not depends on the construction of the
connections.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave