[TechAssist] Re: Audio..Kenwood KR-A56U..no audio output

  • From: "Dave" <audioserviceclinic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:17:43 -0800

Sure! This procedure will be for discrete only. This is probably the most
common design now. Pretty much everyone has moved away from output ICs.

Just look at the emitter resistors for the output transistors. Most everyone
uses the dual cement resistors, about .22 ohms or close, depending on the
design. It has a three lead design with the center lead being the common
lead.

If you measure from that point to ground, at should not be more than about
20-30 milivolts. Ideally, 0 volts. Anything much more than that will trigger
the protection circuit. Past about 20 mils, that amp is considered to have
DC Offset(blown). Most of the new amps have no way to adjust this. It is
designed into the amp at this voltage. You used to be able to set the bias
and offset, but now-a-days, that is one extra part(cost) as well as one more
possible part that can change or deteriorate with age.

Now, here's the reason why you should get used to checking it there instead
of the output relay. Some manufactures, specifically, Harman Kardon, don't
use output relays. The protection circuit is completely different. DC offset
and high current/temp is sensed by a couple of transistors which change the
state of a pin on the micro. This change, signals the micro to shut down the
power control line to the power supply, which turns off the supply and
removes the offset condition, saving the load(speakers).

If you get used to checking it there, it doesn't matter whether the
protection is via relay or processor. In addition, that resistor is also the
point to measure bias on the amp, generally something you can adjust.

Getting around the protection can be difficult, but it is possible.

Dave