[TechAssist] Are these transistors counterfeit? [UPDATE]

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 19:38:57 -0400

Today I thought of it, that it was suggested that the ink on a phony
could be rubbed off fairly easy with acetone. I tried it on the 2SC2706,
and as I suspected, the part number has all but dissapeared (I used
laquer thinner instead of acetone). At this point, the surface of the
suspect transistors face looks even more like it may of held against a
sanding belt. Then I tried it on the 2SA1146 and the ink faded slightly
but stayed clearly visible. When I attempted to remove the ink on the
originals, the stamping remained perfect.

I will not be installing these. I am guessing that the supplier isn't
even aware of the possible problem.

My original message:

I just received a couple of power outputs for a Harman Cardon receiver.

The new ones look like the surfaces have been scratched up and the case
of the 2SC2706 is not exactly like the others, plus the lettering is
smaller. The 2SA1146 looks closer to original, but the green color is
faded.

I have posted the photo here for a limited time:

http://www.number63.ca/transistors.jpg

I'm wondering if I should attempt to use these. If I don't, does anyone
know if NTE37MCP would be satisfactory in this Harman Cardon model
HK570i ?
--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics