[team2039] Minibot Madness

  • From: Adam Czerwonka <Adam.Czerwonka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'team2039@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <team2039@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:36:51 -0600

I put together a quick calculator for the minibot.  The calculations are based
on running at peak power (with conservative torque values).  The model includes
friction, gearbox efficiency, and other factors.

If we input a wheel size (based on the modified gearboxes that we have), it
will give us the maximum minibot weight along with the speed in seconds to
climb the pole.

One thing to note is that the weight in the graphs below is based on 0
friction, so the weight is the combined friction and weight of the robot.

If we can build a robot with only about 0.5 lbs of rolling friction, and keep
the weight under 2.5 lbs, then we should be able to climb in 1.5 seconds or so.
 This will require no slippage of the wheels, so we need to place the magnets
perfectly.  If we can't get it under these values, then we have to go to a 3
inch wheel and will be running around 2-2.5 seconds.

Based on the number of factors included in this calculation, I think it should
be accurate within 0.5 seconds (if we can prevent wheel slippage and keep it to
rolling friction... no contact plate).  We also need to make sure that the
battery is fully charged to ensure we can get the needed power out of the
battery.

Adam Czerwonka
Engineer
Woodward - Turbine Fluid Systems & Controls
Tel: 815-639-6313
Fax: 815-639-5247
Email: aczerw@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:aczerw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

THESE COMMODITIES, TECHNOLOGY OR SOFTWARE WERE EXPORTED FROM THE U.S. IN
ACCORDANCE WITH THE EXPORT ADMINISTRATION REGULATIONS.  DIVERSION CONTRARY TO
U.S. LAW IS PROHIBITED.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image