[team-oid] Announceing create_maps v0.1 released

  • From: Team OiD <dom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: team-oid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:24:29 +0200

        Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

        I'm proudly presenting the first release of create_maps
distribution.
 It's version is v0.1.

        This distribution contains a precompiled splitter and mkgmap, all my
style, reg and typ files.
 It's easy to use, except of the missing documentation, which should
come a bit later.

        Just download the mkgmap_dist.tar.gz, extract it to any directory
and run it.
 This distribution and the scripts are written for linux/unix archs.

        You need a preinstalled java and 4GB of memory minimum.

        The distribution could be found here:
http://www.team-oid.de/garmin_maps/mkgmap_dist.tar.gz
        After extracting the package you will find a create_maps.sh script.
This provides an --help switch, which shows you the available options
and a list of supported countries.

        For creating a mapset for germany you simple call:
        ./create_maps.sh -cl "germany.osm", this command will download the
sources and create a german mapset for you, which could be found at
the maps directory. The mapset will be located in a dir called:
OSM-Deutschland. (Yes I know, it's still mixed german/english)

        Put this OSM-Deutschland into your Garmin filder, as you already did
with my zipped mapsets and execute the reg file.

        I will provide regular updates for this distribution, with new
mkgmap versions and optimized scripts styles and types.

        Use it and have fun. I would like to get feedback from you, to
enhance it.  If you have questions, feel free to ask.

        mkgmap and splitter comes from: http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/
        I also updated the Monaco and Isle-of-Man maps.
        Regards,

        Marco