[TCUG] Puffin - near-side indicators

  • From: Howard Saffer <Howard.Saffer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:13:31 +0100

A point of information - in relation to far-side signals on Puffins and
black-out periods (without commenting on the desirability of either).

I understand that there is no technical problem with the use of black-outs
on Puffins. TAL 1/02 allows/recommends their use on near-side indicators on
refuge islands within Puffin crossings over wide carriageways (although
admittedly few authorities want to design signalled crossings with refuges
these days).

We enquired a little while ago about this type of arrangement for a scheme
that may have required this facility. It appears that several authorities
have installed this type of arrangement (with a black-out only on indicators
in the central refuge) - and at least some manufacturers have advised me how
they have implemented this in practice on their signal controllers.

So we really get back to if we (and DfT/HA) want to use black-out periods
and far-side signals on Puffins. Implementation is not a major issue.

For those interested in the implementation policies for pedestrian crossing
timings (including red-man and black-out periods) in various cities around
the UK (on standard ped. signals), Leeds City Council (MH) produced a report
on this (for the Core Cities group?) in December 1999 which some may find
interesting.

Regards

Howard Saffer
Sheffield City Council

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as
soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for
the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a
public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or
amended please tell us as soon as possible.