[TCUG] Puffin costs and Pound signs

  • From: Bull Peter <Peter.Bull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TCUG e-mail list posting (E-mail)" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:22:39 +0100

I think this issue is an illustration of the arcana which can surround
e-mail and mailing lists. Problems such as this are reported occasionally on
the discussion group for Freelists administrators, and there doesn't appear
to be a simple answer. It is probably to do with the way that the various
servers that a message will pass through handle text which originates in
Rich Text or HTML format, combined with the conversion to plain text that
Freelists does.

Plain text takes up less space on servers and in transmission, so its use is
a sacrifice that has to be made to have the benefit of a free e-mail list
which isn't contaminated with advertising. But I don't think that you lose
very much by sticking to plain text for all your e-mail, if it needs fancy
formatting you can always add an attachment (though not with Freelists!). To
change all your outgoing e-mails to plain text click Tools, Options, Mail
Format and change "Send in this message format:"

We should be thankful that we don't have Hotmail or Yahoo e-mail addresses -
then things get really awkward!

Pete Bull

   Planning Transport & Highways, Sheffield City Council
      Howden House, 1 Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2SH
        Tel. (0114) 273 6174    Fax (0114) 273 6182

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as
soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for
the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a
public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or
amended please tell us as soon as possible.