[TCUG] Re: Loops or Tags at Rising Bollard Bus Gates

  • From: "Dave Parkyns" <dparkyns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:45:27 +0100

We looked into this for a project on the A3 in London many years ago, and
ended up using Bus Priority loop detection system.

The reason we used it was all the buses had BP transponders, but also there
was an issue in using tags, as the bus companies had a habit of switching
buses from other routes, if they were short on a particular route, so
management of the tags would have been a problem.

Even so, detection was not 100%, and sometimes buses without transponders
were used on the route so we still had to provide an overide keypad (can't
remember whether this was key operated or number based) that the driver
could use, otherwise the buses were stuck.

We did consider a simple loop system which would be looking for a vehicle
the size of a bus in its magnetic profile, preventing cars from going
through (only knowledgable van/lorry drivers could by pass it), but decided
against it.

Tag technology has moved on significantly since this project, we would have
been restricted to passive tags which only had a 1 metre range (making
detection difficult), as active tags were bulky and battery life short (or
requiring hard-wiring into the bus), but newer DSRC active tags seem to have
overcome this, so if you are able to manage Tag allocation within the bus
company/companies, then this may be the favoured route

On a separate note, the bollards have now been removed due to unreliability
and a rising arm barrier has replaced them.

Dave Parkyns
IBI Group (UK) Ltd