[TCUG] Re: High Level Repeaters for Nearside Toucan Indicators

  • From: "David Key" <david.key@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:21:28 +0000

Apart from the obvious use of HLR=27s at busy crossings, I=27ve found that
where you put them up peds tend to watch the red/green man signal more,
I think this is because they are more in their line of sight. =20

With only a standard height NSI peds tend to look aimlessly across the
road after pushing the button. I=27ve seen peds miss the green man
altogether due to them not watching their signal on the standard height
NSI=27s.

I think HLR=27s can be particularly useful at sites where you can=27t use
bleepers to jolt the peds into action.=20

Regards
=20
David Key
Senior Engineer
Urban Traffic Control
Kirklees Metropolitan Council
Tel: 01484 22 54 36
Mob: 07970 25 22 98
=20
=E2=80=94------------------------------------------------------------------=
--

>>> =22Oliver David B=22 <david.b.oliver=40newcastle.gov.uk> 05/11/2007 =
06:18

Does anyone have any comments on the usefulness (or problems with) high
lev=3D
el
repeaters for nearside Toucan/Puffin indicators.
We have possible application on one problem site but before we decide
on th=3D
is
as a solution we=27d appreciate feedback on the efficacy of the measure.

Thanks,

Dave Oliver
Regional Traffic Signals Service
Newcastle City Council