[TCUG] Re: FW: zigzag markings where a layby exists

  • From: Bull Peter <Peter.Bull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:20:59 -0000

The LTNs are advice and guidance - as it says on the DfT site about LTN 2/95
"This note recommends the practices to be followed when planning, designing
and installing at-grade pedestrian crossings."

In this case I think they are wrong - the Regulations, which are the
definitive legislation, clearly say that the controlled area is marked by
the edge of the carriageway, and the TSRGD also provide for an edge of
carriageway marking which is intended to mark the separation between a layby
and the carriageway.

If there was no edge of carriageway marking then the zig-zags would need to
be against the kerb, and the layby would need to be taken out of use as the
note recommends.

Peter Bull

Incidently, when I looked for LTN2/95 on the DfT's website I found that the
pdf file was "broken and could not be repaired", so I sent them an e-mail
about it. Within 7 minutes I had a response including a working copy of the
file and an undertaking to sort out the problem on their site - well done
DfT webmaster (or mistress in this case)!