[tccrockets] Re: Rocketeers for KQED's QUEST

  • From: Jack Garibaldi <jackgaribaldi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Chris Bauer'" <cbauer@xxxxxxxx>, "TCC -Chat " <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:43:26 -0700

Didn?t see anything but will post on the chat. Did anyone find Chris?s Hat?

Jack G

From: cbauer@xxxxxxxx
To: JackGaribaldi@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:06:49 -0700

Hey Jack-

I?ll give you a call if this doesn?t reach you.  But wanted to see if you
have a location locked down.  Also, let me know how I can find you one we
arrive.

Thanks a bunch!

-Chris

  _____

From: cbauer@xxxxxxxx
To: jafrado@xxxxxxxxx; JackGaribaldi@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:58:27 -0700

Hello gentlemen-

I just wanted to follow up Steve's kind introduction.  I'm a producer on the
science multimedia program QUEST.  (You can see all our work here:
http://science.kqed.org/quest/ )  This show is long-format TV documentary
style.  I'd like to come down to October Skies and film the event for a
story I'm doing on Rocketeering.   The story will be 10 or 11 minutes long
(that's a good chunk on TV time).  We take our science a bit more seriously
than normal science TV fare.  So we'll be focusing a lot of the engineering,
aerodynamics, physics, chemistry, etc.  But we'll also want the story to be
fun and engaging!  I don't think that will be hard.

We would be as unobtrusive as we can.  I understand people are there to have
fun and launch their rockets.  We would not want to get in the way of that.
I'd like to get footage of launches and talk to people about their rockets
and the model rocket community, etc.  Jack, another person I have been in
contact with also recommended that I talk with you.  I don't know if you
would be flattered but you were described as the "grand-daddy of
rocketeering."  That said, I'd like to interview you if we can carve out a
time.

Do you think it would be possible for us to cover October Skies and talk
with folks?  If so, can you give me details about the event, where the
launches will take place; do we need special equipment, etc?  Which day
would you recommend we attend? (I'm guessing Saturday)  And where would you
recommend we stay?

Thanks so much for your time and consideration

From: Chris Bauer <cbauer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:26:52 -0700
To: Steve Jurvetson <sj@xxxxxxx>

I love "illegal in California."  That's just good TV.

I figured people would be focused on their own deal at October Skies.
That's pretty normal across the board for those types of things.  Their
enthusiasm is for rockets, not TV.  I don't blame them.  But as long as we
don't interfere, I'm sure we'll be able to get some great stuff and people
will be excited to share their love for the game.

You not being at October Skies does not throw any monkey in the wrench for
me.  I'd still want you to be a main character if you are willing.

It would be a huge help if you could provide introductions to the folk's
running October Skies.  I think being introduced by an insider is a lot
easier than if I came cold-calling.

And that goes for Tom at RocketMavericks too.  When we shoot anything (be
they rockets or video) with kids we are hyper-sensitive.  Everything will be
safe and above-board.  We have a protocol to make sure parents are fully
aware of what is going on and how their kids will be portrayed.

Unfortunately, I can't get to NASA this weekend as it's my wedding
anniversary.  And as much as that would be a perfect day for me, I don't
think it would be my wife's idea of how to spend the day.  "What?  It's
rockets!  That's romantic!"  (RATS!)

Explore it all on kqed.org/quest <http://www.kqed.org/quest>

  _____

From: Chris Bauer <cbauer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:30:39 -0700
To: Steve Jurvetson <sj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Rocketeers for KQED's QUEST

Hey Steve-

Happy to report that I just got my Rocketeer story green-lit. so, we're set
for launch!  (So to speak. ahem.)  It's also been fast-tracked.  So I have
to get moving.  I'll have 2 or 3 shoot days and I'll obviously be relying on
a lot of acquired footage.

I'm going to look into going down to October Skies.  I think that will be
the best chance I'll have to talk to a lot of people about the bigger
rockets.  And it'll be good to meet people, capture the general culture and
see a lot of launches.

Then I'd like to set something up specifically for the show where we'll be
able to drill down a bit more on the science, engineering and tech.  (You
would have a better understanding of the mood of the events, but I'm
guessing people are focused on their rockets and seeing other people launch
and wont want to be bothered (much) by a roaming TV crew.  I don't know,
maybe people will be open.  But I thought it might be better to have
something isolated so we're in more control without infringing on people's
fun)  I'd like to maybe get into somebody's workshop and see how these
things are build.  And then maybe go out with them (or a small group) and
launch some rockets.

Regardless, I'd like for you to be one of my main characters in this story.
I think you embody the fascination and enthusiasm that powers model rocket
building at all levels.  (Why I wrote you in the first place)  Basically, I
want to extend and do a "mini-documentary" of your TED Talk- take it out to
the launch site, expand it out to 10 or 11 minutes, drill down deeper into
the science and technology and crank up the volume!

Another thing we want to do is show a kid or group of kids.  One of the
things I'd obviously like to capture with this story is their enthusiasm,
and budding interest in science and engineering, physics and math.  But
another thing I'd like to talk to them about is failure and the idea of "if
at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again."  This is a somewhat unique
attribute that is so reflective of our local Bay Area tech-centric culture.
Failure is not failure if you learn from it and keep trying.  So when a
kid's rocket, that he's been working on for months, blows up on the launch
pad and he dusts himself off, laughs, goes back to the drawing board and
tries harder-  that risk taking or openness to failure and learning is
something that these kids will carry with them forever.  I want to capture
that.  Are there Boy Scout groups?  Is there a group from Mavericks?

So. What do you think?

Thanks again for all your help.  You have no idea how much I'm looking
forward to this one!
Cheers!
-Chris

  _____

From: Chris Bauer <cbauer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 13:54:32 -0700
To: Steve Jurvetson <sj@xxxxxxx>

Hey Steve-

I'm looking into green-lighting the rocket story for our show QUEST.  (My
timing is I'd have to shoot in October of early November)  When and where is
October Skies?  Are you going to be there and would you like to participate
in the show?  And do you know who I could/should talk to about getting
footage of bigger events such as the ones shown in your TED talk?  We're
certainly going to want to talk about the goals to reach space and break the
sound barrier.  Also seeing those rockets firsthand and explaining the tech
would be great-  even if we don't get to launch it.

I'm also interested in talking with a local (Bay Area) rocketeering club who
I might be able to go out with and do some small launches just for us.  I've
done this in the past in Livermore.  Preferably I'd like a group who could
launch a camera up so we can get the cool rocket POV.

Thanks for your help!

From: Chris Bauer <cbauer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 15:19:34 -0700
To: Steve Jurvetson <sj@xxxxxxx>

Hey Steve-

Thanks for the prompt reply!  See?  You go to a conference, take a picture
with a guy in a goofy suit and suddenly you're an exoskeleton expert!

Although, hitting Mach 2.2 does qualify you as a steely eyed missile man!
That's freaking amazing!  And your son's rocket looks to be a chip off the
block.  Nice work!  Once I get this story green-lit, I'd like to talk with
you about participating.  Your enthusiasm is infectious and that always
makes for a good TV story.

Thanks for the contacts and information.  I just spoke to our web producer
about the possibility of doing the rocket story for our web series. (Web is
much more nimble).  So we'll see what we can pull off.  Or if we do it for
TV (my first choice) I think we'd have to wait until next season.  And with
that I'd have to wait for another later launch.  In the mean time, are there
any launches planned closer to home?

Thanks again!  I look forward to talking with you more and seeing the
rockets in person!

From: Chris Bauer <cbauer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:54:54 -0700
To: "'SteveJ@xxxxxxxxx <SteveJ@xxxxxxxxx>  <SteveJ@xxxxxxxxx>
<SteveJ@xxxxxxxxx> ' <SteveJ@xxxxxxxxx> " <SteveJ@xxxxxxxxx>

Junk Score: 1 out of 10 (below your Auto Allow threshold
<https://www.boxbe.com/mail-screening?tc=9457505513_1193665665> ) | Approve
sender <https://www.boxbe.com/policy_update?sender=cbauer%40KQED.org
<https://www.boxbe.com/policy_update?sender=cbauer%40KQED.org&tc=9457505513_
1193665665> &tc=9457505513_1193665665> | Block sender
<https://www.boxbe.com/policy_update?sender=cbauer%40KQED.org
<https://www.boxbe.com/policy_update?sender=cbauer%40KQED.org&action=add&dis
p=b&tc=9457505513_1193665665> &action=add&disp=b&tc=9457505513_1193665665> |
Block domain <https://www.boxbe.com/policy_update?sender=KQED.org
<https://www.boxbe.com/policy_update?sender=KQED.org&action=add&disp=b&tc=94
57505513_1193665665> &action=add&disp=b&tc=9457505513_1193665665>
___

Hello Steve-

My name is Chris Bauer and I'm a producer for KQED's award winning science &
environment program "QUEST."  I am not sure if you will remember me, but a
while back I produced a profile on you for CNET's News.com. yikes. was that
10 years ago?  Time flies.  (I wonder if you're still playing Ultimate
Frisbee.)

QUEST <http://www.kqed.org/quest> is a unique multi-media production
combining television, radio, web and education as one unit.  We are
partnered with numerous Bay Area science museums, research institutes, and
other community-based organizations. Now in its fifth season, QUEST has
produced hundreds of educational media pieces, reached more than 36 million
viewers and listeners, and has helped foster our audience's curiosity and
interest in science, as well as inspiring our community to care more about
their environment.

I'm writing you today for three reasons.  I'm hoping you might be able to
help or advise me.

       1. Exoskeletons.  I'm currently working on a story about exoskeletons
for our TV show.  I'm going to be profiling Dr. Kazerooni at UC Berkeley and
a paraplegic student named Austin Whitney, who worked with Dr. Kaz's lab to
develop an exoskeleton in time for him to walk across the stage at his
college graduation. We'll also be talking about Berkeley Bionics, REX,
ReWalk, HAL and some of the work being done for the Department of Defense.
What I don't have is a "generalist."  In my preliminary research I saw a
picture of you standing next to a person wearing the HAL suit.  What I need
is someone to talk about the advancements in engineering and technology that
has led to the development of exoskeleton technology.  I want someone who
can talk about the various different applications, as well as the different
engineering approaches being taken to create this technology.  Lastly, what
is the potential and future of this?  Have you been directly or indirectly
involved with any of the companies developing exoskeletons?  I'm looking for
someone who could be inspiring about engineering into the future.  Sometimes
things we've relegated to science fiction can become science fact!  With
your engineering background and reputation for finding some of the "next
best things", I think you could be a unique voice in this story to sum it
all up.  If you could fill that roll, would you have any available time in
the next couple weeks to arrange an on-camera interview?

       2. Rocketeers.  I'm also now developing a story idea for QUEST TV or
our QUEST Web series "Science on the SPOT" about amateur rocket builder's
quest to reach space.  I produced a similar story for CNET, profiling a
group of engineers from Lawrence Livermore Lab who built model rockets in
their spare time.   But I know that things have advanced considerably since
then.  At the same time I think launch sites have diminished and made it a
bit harder for amateur rocket builders to find a place to fire their
rockets. Lastly, I'd like to showcase the rocket builders, who you talked
about in your TED presentation, who are building some big babies that might
reach the edge of space.  So, some questions-  Are you still involved with
amateur rocket building?  Who are some of the best local players I should
contact for this story?  And when do the big launches take place?  And
where?  Basically, I want to capture the enthusiasm you expressed so well in
your TED talk!

       3. KIDS.  I'm currently creating a companion program for QUEST that
will target a younger audience, aimed mainly at students grades K through 5.
Like QUEST, this multi-media program will feature an interactive website,
education materials and a weekly TV series (aired on both KQED and KTEH- now
known as "KQED Plus").  KID QUEST is designed to be driven by education and
its main goal is to improve science literacy.  QUEST's award-winning media
are already combined with 21st century teaching materials and curricula that
are distributed via kqed.org/quest, iTunesU, and other resources such as PBS
LearningMedia, a partnership between WGBH's Teachers' Domain and PBS
Education.  QUEST Education also reaches out directly to local science
teachers.  KID QUEST will continue and expand those materials for elementary
school students.   Each story will have attached educational materials
designed to promote and enhance STEM education, both for teachers and
students, inside the classroom and out.  But while we strive to educate,
even more importantly we aim to inspire.  The show and the stories will be
fun, exciting and entertaining.  We are in a particularly advantageous place
to accomplish this.  First, we will be able to access and re-purpose a great
deal of QUEST's existing content, which can be re-written, re-edited and
re-voiced for a younger audience.  While that will make this TV series
particularly economical, it also gives our audience the unique ability and
added advantage to directly access more advanced content.  I think this sets
KID QUEST apart from all other science shows for children.  We will nimbly
bridge that gap between "little kids" and "big kids."  Students and teachers
who are craving more advanced content will have it at their fingertips.  So
there's my "elevator pitch."  And please pardon my naivety- I'm a content
creator, not a fundraiser.  But I wanted your thoughts on the KID QUEST
idea.  There is an alarming need for advancement of STEM education and it
seems to me there are many people and companies in the Bay Area who have a
vested interest in the next generation of home-grown scientists and
engineers.  Frankly, I'm not sure how my colleagues in KQED's development
department reach out to raise money but my thinking is an "outside the box"
(sorry for the lame cliché) approach fits both the program, as well as the
people who would most likely support such an initiative.  Given your
influence, connections and forward-thinking, I'd be greatly interested in
your thoughts on this.

Thank you for your time.  If you have any questions, please drop me a line
or give me a call.  And if you don't mind, I'd like to give you a call to
talk about exoskeletons and possibly arranging an interview.

Thanks again!  Hope all is well!
Sincerely,
 Chris Bauer