[tcb] Re: the fabubus sale of the century rant

  • From: Conrad Klahn <conradk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:32:53 -0600

I agree. A bus doesn't get the name "fabubus" for nothing.

One of my pet peeves is people who say, "I want to buy __ from you. Can I call you?" I say, "Sure, here's my phone number." Then they call and say, "What is the lowest price you will take?" I say, honestly, "I have other people interested, so my price is firm." And they get all wound up and huffy. This has happened to me in the past when people come over to buy the car, only to want to talk me down.

I guess my issue is, if the price is fair, pay it. If it isn't, then offer something lower to begin with - but don't say "I'll pay it and then try to talk the person down when it comes time to pay for it. I've learned to put on my "go away" attitude and they either comply or go away.

I sold my '85 Westy for $750 knowing full well that if it moved and ran well it was worth at least $1500. That's just the way it is. The person who bought it from me, paid probably that much to get it going - then put it up for sale for $2850. Time = money.

Another good gauge is the Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) site, that lists the costs dealerships incur making a car ready for resale.