[tcb] sigla sliding glass

  • From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 07:52:14 -0700 (PDT)

Terry:  This is for you but may be of interest to others on the list.  In
response to your question about the slider glass:  There is some info on the
Samba and here is one link to some photos of the slider that the glass fits
in.  There is also other info on the samba about sigla glass in general.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237411&highlight=sigla

Apparently some busses in the late 50s early 60s that were passenger busses had
the sigla glass all around.  Sigla glass is laminate (saftey plate) and the
front door sliding glass is therefore Sigla.  Does not have holes for the
slider latches and fits in the metal channel with the slider latch screwed into
the metal slider into which the window fits.  See photos on the above link.

I went through my stash of slider parts and found that I have one very nice
slider latch for the right side; the type that mounts on the metal slider and
does not go through the window.  Memory tells me that I also had one for the
drivers side that was still attached to what was left of the metal slider but I
am going to have to really do some parts digging to ever find it.

BUT:  All that aside; my suggestion would be to restore using the through the
window latch with the sekurit tempered glass.  Parts for these guys: both the
glass and the latches are readily available.  Unless you have some sigla glass,
the slider metal and the catches; all of which are not readily available; you
are going to have a tough time going back with the original sigla glass.

I will add that all of the parts in the frames are the same.  I would just use
the frames and go back with the through the glass catches.  However, if you
want the right catch that I have for the sigla glass I will let you have it for
a very nominal sum.

Does anyone on the list have anything to add:  Or have a front slider window
bus with sigla glass and the catches that do not go through the window?