[tcb] Re: international space station

  • From: thingmon@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 10:49:41 -0800 (PST)

It's even more cool when you know someone on it.  Last summer I was with ~20
Boy Scouts sitting at the edge of a lake in east Texas when a friend (one of
the Scout's dad) was on a shuttle mission to the station.  We were able to see
both the station and shuttle pass over just after they detached.  17,000 mph.
It's quick.

Here's a link to the NASA satellite sightings site (lists ISS flyovers too),
just click through to a location close to you.  If you're between two, check
both and extrapolate the difference:
http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+States

Degree listings are from the horizon.  Horizon is 0 deg, straight up is 90
deg.

Your tax dollars at work... Enjoy ;-)